Teachers and Educators
Ohio Thespians supports teachers by providing a suite of professional resources. As a troupe director, teachers enjoy professional development opportunities, membership in a passionate community of creative peers from around the state, the chance to earn national recognition for you and your students, as well as coverage under the EdTA insurance policy.
Search for Answers
JUNIOR THESPIAN CONFERENCE
Any adult (18+) chaperone, presenter, performer, director, musician, etc needs to have a background check on file. Troupe Directors, please use this link and share with any chaperones, staff, musicians who will be accompanying your troupe. BACKGROUND CHECK
STATES 2022 - TENTATIVE ITINERARY
Please check back frequently for updates
Westerville Central High School, 7118 Mt Royal Ave, Westerville, OH 43082
March 25, 2022
4pm – Registration
5pm – All-Ohio Show (Stage 1), Title TBA (Stage 2)
7pm – OPENING CEREMONIES (Double Superior Showcase Check In)
8pm – All-Ohio Show #2, Title TBA (Stage 2), Tech Challenge Begins
11pm – END OF DAY (PRE ORDER PIZZAS FOR THE HOTEL)
March 26, 2022
9a-6p – Colleges and vendors available. Check it out!
9a – Noon (PRE ORDER DONUTS FOR THE MORNING)
Mainstage, Marathon Shows, Workshops, Tech Challenge, Bob Fose Scholarship Interviews
NOON – Lunch Provided
Mainstage, Marathon Shows, Workshops
5p – Dinner Provided
Mainstage, Marathon Shows, Workshops
8:30p-10p – CLOSING CEREMONIES
Scholarships, Awards, Honor Troupes, Double Superior Showcase, Minute To Give It
Troupe Director Contact Info
High School Contact Info
Chaperone Contact Info/ Dietary Needs
Student Name/ Dietary Needs
PRICE BREAKDOWN & HOTEL INFORMATION
$75 per student (thru February 18) * 50% & 100% financial assistance availble for those that qualify.
$95 per student (February 19 – March 20)
$0 Troupe Director
$0 Chaperone (1 for every 10 students registered)
$75/$95 – Additional Chaperones (see registration dates above)
$15 – per student/chaperone – Shuttle Bus service to and from below hotels
$10 – TECH CHALLENGE – 1 team per school – 6 per team
TBA – Pizza and Donut pre orders (on your own)
Hotel Blocks – Reserve by March 4th to hold rates!
Hilton Garden Inn @ Polaris: (30 rooms) Double Queen Rooms- $120
Hotel information: Hilton Garden Inn Columbus-Polaris, 8535 Lyra Drive, Columbus, Ohio 43240, Phone: 614-846-8884, Website: Hilton Garden Inn Columbus/Polaris, Ohio Hotel
Group Code is: OSSTCB: Ohio State Spring Thespian Conference – Columbus Polaris
Booking Link: Ohio State Spring Thespian Conference Block @ Hilton Garden Inn-Columbus Polaris Please note, that to be tax exempt, you will have to use your individual schools tax exempt form.
Hilton Garden Inn Columbus Easton: (60 rooms total) – (50) Double Queen Rooms & (10) King Rooms- $120
Booking Link: https://www.hilton.com/
Homewood Suites by Hilton @ Easton: (20 rooms total) – (15) Double Queen Rooms & (5) King rooms – $129
Booking Link: https://www.hilton.com/
Hotel Information (both Easton locations): 3600 Morse Rd, Columbus, Ohio 43230, 614-968-5200
EMERGENCY MEDICAL & CONSENT FORMS
Emergency Medical/ Consent Forms are the responsibility of the Troupe Director to gather and have on hand for their chaperones, their students, and themselves. We ask that a scanned PDF copy of all forms be sent to HERE. PDF Scan is due MARCH 20th.
- Contact Matt Wolfe firstname.lastname@example.org with questions
All theatre professionals, educators, troupe directors, theatre booster organizations, and others associated with theatre arts are welcome to submit workshop proposals. Proposals from current student Thespians will not be accepted unless supervised, endorsed, and submitted by the troupe director or the student is a current or previous STO/ITO.
Please fill out this form entirely if you would like to be considered as a guest artist for our conference. The workshops will all be presented in person and virtually. The conference dates are March 25 – 26, 2022, at Westerville Central High School.
If you have multiple workshop ideas, this form will allow you to submit up to five proposals. Please only submit one proposal per section. There is a stipend for each workshop presented.
Any workshop presenter or accompanist, assistant coming with the presenter must complete this BACKGROUND CHECK by March 20, 2022.
Workshop proposals are due March 10, 2022. Decisions on workshops will be made by the last week of January, and confirmation emails will be sent out the following week. If you have any questions, please contact Jeff Horst or Jeff Sams (email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org).
Each year, over 1,700 attend the Ohio Thespian State Conference. For thespians across Ohio, this weekend is the highlight of the academic year. It is a tremendous honor to be selected as a host school, as well as an enormous undertaking requiring a significant commitment throughout the school year. Don’t worry, you won’t have to do it alone, the Educational Theatre Association Ohio Chapter (OhEdTA) and our network of volunteers are here to help you make the conference a success
To ensure the conference remains a vibrant celebration of theatre, there are significant facility requirements of host schools. Before applying, confirm your school’s ability to meet these minimum requirements. Please note it is acceptable to split conference between two locations provided both locations are within immediate walking distance, as in the case of separate high school and junior high buildings
- Workshop rooms each with computer access/ whiteboard available
- Movement and Dance space
- Registration area and secure location for Board and Host School
- There needs to be two featured full-length performance spaces; one space for 45-minute to one hour cuttings (seating about 200 people), and one space for marathon performances (about 100 seats).
- A space is needed for Opening and Closing Ceremonies.
- Large open space for Tech Challenge
- Area for buses to arrive at conference and park
- Adult hospitality location
- Large STO room in high traffic area, needs tables and to be locked each evening with Silent Auction.
- Spaces for vendors with electricity (high traffic area),- each vendor needs a table and two chairs.
- Spaces for college reps with electricity (high traffic area) – each college needs a table and two chairs.
- List of available hotels with group rates and contact information
- Clinic space and name of nurse available for conference
- Access to scene shop
- Generally the host school’s theatre boosters sell food for the weekend – pizza, snacks, drinks, (especially water) to cover dinner on Friday night (boosters in the last five years have sold pizza and soda for troupes when they arrive and when they leave at the end of the night).
You will be required to provide written quotes for food and transportation with your application.
Host will make arrangements with local hotels for the conference. The conference uses 250 or more rooms. Hotels should supply breakfast and give a lower room rate and have availability for quad rooms. The board will need the list of rooms at the August retreat. The list needs to include:
- Name and address of hotel
- Contact person information
- Rooms available (size; how many)
- Cost per room
- Deadline for registration
AWARDS FOR STUDENTS & COLLEAGUES
Jimmy Humphries Scholarship
Assisting Thespians who have participated in technical theatre and are planning to study technical theatre in college.
Nominate an advocate of your program or an outstanding colleague. See Awards section for links!
HALL OF FAME
The Ohio Thespians Hall of Fame was established to honor those individuals who have given outstanding service to EdTA:Ohio Thespians.
- Any current Ohio EdTA adult member may submit a letter of nomination.
- Letters of nomination should be sent to Matt Wolfe no later than April 1, 2022.
- Letters should contain the following information: (a) the full name and title (if appropriate) the nominee, (b) the current school, business, community, or organizational affiliation of the nominee, (c) any previous such affiliations that contribute to the nominee’s qualifications, (d) a list of the specific contributions the nominee has made to the work of the organization, (e) a statement by the person submitting the letter that he/she has researched and verified the accuracy of the information contained in the letter.
- The nominee must have served Ohio EdTA in a significant manner over a period of several years.
- The contributions of the nominee may have focused on one or more areas that either advanced theatre education for students and teachers or advanced the organization’s ability to serve its members.
- In any one year, the number of those elected to the Hall of Fame may vary from none to four. (0 to 4)
- The nominees will be presented to the Board for final selection. After approval by the Board, Chapter Director will notify the honorees and invite them to be present for an induction presentation during the State Conference.
HOW DO WE BRING A MAINSTAGE TO CONFERENCE?
Throughout state conference weekend, troupes stage performances selected from high schools across Ohio, creating a one of a kind opportunity for students and teachers alike. To be considered for a performance, troupe directors must request an official screening.
It is the mission of the Educational Theatre Association: Ohio Chapter to broaden the theatrical horizons of our students. In pursuit of this objective, we will prioritize the selection of shows that have not appeared at state conference in the past four years. While we will consider shows that have been performed in recent years, we strongly encourage you to consult the performance archive prior to requesting a screening.
- Contact Brad Allen email@example.com with questions
START/ RESTART A TROUPE
Establishing or reestablishing a troupe is easy.
The school administration must appoint one adult to serve as the official troupe director. That person will submit the troupe activation form. Here’s a checklist to help you charter a new troupe or reinstate a lapsed troupe to active status.
1. Confirm school eligibility.
Your school is eligible to activate a Thespian troupe provided you have a traditional, brick-and-mortar public or private school that includes grades 9-12, provides full academic course work, and has a theatre program of any kind. Contact our membership team if you have questions about your school’s charter eligibility.
2. Download and complete the application form
The same activation form is used to charter a new troupe or reinstate a lapsed troupe. Principal and troupe director signatures are required. You can find the form by visiting the International Thespian Society registration page
3. Enter contact information for new student inductees.
All troupes must have a total of six or more active student members within 12 months of troupe activation (charter or reinstatement).
To get started, please visit the International Thespian Society registration page.