We offer a variety of events throughout the year for Ohio Thespians, Junior Thespians, and teachers.
Ohio Unified Theatre Audition and Interview Day
Upload deadline Saturday, January 10
Announcing the 2020-21 Ohio Unified Theatre Audition and Interview Day. This opportunity is open to any high school student planning to study theatre as a major or minor at a college or university in the fall of 2021.
Students looking for a fall 2021 start for a college program as either a theatre major or minor are invited to audition/interview at the Ohio Unified event. Over 20 colleges will be present to review and evaluate your work as a technician, designer, writer, actor, manager, and director for admittance to their program, with more signing up every day!
Students will receive a list of colleges and contact info for follow up and research once the audition submissions have closed.
Schools scheduled to attend include:
- Austin Peay State University
- Greensboro College
- Heidelberg University
- Huntington University
- Indiana University South Bend
- Kent State University
- Marietta College
- Miami University Theatre
- New York Conservatory for Dramatic Arts
- Niagara University
- Ohio Northern University
- Ohio University
- Otterbein University
- Rochester University
- University of Detroit Mercy
- University of Findlay
- Wittenberg University Theatre and Dance
- Youngstown State University
The cost is just $35 to be seen by all schools involved.
Who is Eligible to participate?
Students do not need to be members of the Thespian Society. The Ohio Unified Interview and Audition day is sponsored by Ohio Thespians, but all seniors interested in a career in the arts are invited to register.
- General application (thespian point tracker)
- Theatre resume (upload PDF)
- Academic resume (optional PDF upload)
- Current photo/ headshot
- Interest statement (written or recorded, two min)
- Evidence of your work, photos, scans, etc.
- Area of interest
- Optional wild card (singing, dancing, instrument, special skills)
- Two contrasting monologues (two min)
- Option wild card (singing, dancing, instrument, special skills)
Musical Theatre Performance
- Two contrasting (32 measures at least one from musical theatre repertoire)
- One monologue (one min)
- Optional dance video
- Optional wild card (another song, monologue, instrument, special skills)
To register for the 2021 Ohio Unified Auditions, students must complete the steps below. You can also download the complete instructions, along with helpful images, here – DOWNLOAD.
Step 1: Create an account on ThespianPointTracker.com
Step 2: Complete the account, making sure to include:
- Full Name
- Email (the one you frequently check)
- Phone Number
- Home Address
- Artist Statement/Objective
- Intended College Major
BFA Design Technology
BA Theatre/ Management
BA Theatre Education
- Intended College Minor
Theatre Double Major (list major/double major)
Step 3: Add your school.
Step 4: Upload your audition video.
Step 5: Submit your application.
Step 6: Fill out the audition form to upload your resume.
Ohio Thespian Event
Ohio Thespian State Conference
Join us Saturday, March 27 and Saturday, April 24
In light of the continued threat posed by COVID-19, many of the 2020-21 Ohio Thespian events will be virtual — including this year’s state conference. Workshops, performances, and the state-level Thespys™ competition will take place on Saturday, March 27. The All-Ohio Show and Thespys™ showcase will take place on Saturday, April 24.
Each March, approximately 1,700 high school students and teachers come together for a weekend celebrating theatre and theatre education. Throughout the weekend, troupes stage performances selected from schools across Ohio, creating an incredible experience for audiences and troupes alike.
Attendees can participate in a variety of exciting workshops led by theatre professionals.
Students from across the state audition and interview for one of a handful of prized positions in the annual All-Ohio show. Cast and crew meet for four intensive weekends to create an unforgettable production. Past All-Ohio shows have included Carrie: The Musical (2019), Letters to Sala (2018), Once On This Island (2017), She Kills Monsters (2016), and Spring Awakening (2015).
Because it wouldn’t be state conference without performances, this year’s virtual conference will feature virtual performances! If you would like your performance included, there are a few things you must consider:
- All performance must be a video or a recording of a live show.
- You must obtain all necessary rights for sharing your virtual performance.
- Any fees for the performance are the responsibility of the school and not EdTA Ohio Chapter.
- There will be a form that you must complete before uploading your performance, verifying you have obtained the rights and paid any royalties.
- EdTA Ohio Chapter will not charge any screening fees for your show to be included.
Details on how to upload your recording will be coming at a later date. The number of performances is not set and will depend on interest.
Tech Challenge offers a fun, competitive, environment to showcase the skills and talents of young theatre technicians. Each event is designed to demonstrate the techniques and practices used in the professional theatre industry.
Thespys (formerly Individual Events or IEs) are available in both performance and technical categories and allow students the chance to receive feedback and ratings from theatre professionals. Top scores at the state level will earn students the opportunity to compete at the national level.