Awards and Scholarships
There are a number of grants, scholarships, and awards available to Ohio Thespians.
Administrator of the Year Award
Ginny Chizer Scholarship
Bob Fose Scholarship
Honor Troupe Application
Honor Troupe recognition promotes excellence and challenge troupes to achieve greater things in the future. Any number of troupes can be recognized each year. You are not in competition with other Thespian Troupes.
- Honor Troupe Awards will be divided into three categories: bronze, silver, and gold. The timeframe for troupe activities one school calendar year. Applications are due at/by Leadership Conference for the previous year’s activities. The awards will be announced at the State Thespian Conference.
- Any school that meets the criteria, completes the necessary paperwork, and successfully participates in an interview session may earn an Honor Troupe Award. Any number of troupes may be honored in each category.
- Each troupe is responsible for submitting a portfolio. Included in the portfolio should be evidence of involvement which can be shown through pictures, newspaper clippings, minutes of Thespian meetings, correspondence, etc. There must be proof for all activities. The book must be in the order listed on the Honor Troupe Application.
- One student should be selected to participate in the interview process in order to answer any questions about the application and scrapbook.
- The Thespian Troupe does not need to be present at the State Thespian Conference to receive recognition.
- In order to achieve Gold or Bronze levels, the troupe must score at the designated level or above in all categories. To achieve Silver level, the troupe must meet the requirements for the Silver level in the criteria of Community/Educational Service Projects, Troupe Image Boosting, Thespian Point System, and Member Inductions as well as meeting the requirements for Silver level in three of the four criteria of New/Innovative Project, Educational/Social Service Play, Touring Production, and Full Length Shows.
Jimmy Humphries Scholarship
Each year the Ohio Educational Theatre Association awards this scholarship in the honor of Jimmy Humphries and his dedication to technical theatre. The scholarship committee is looking for students who have demonstrated active participation in technical theatre and is looking to continue with technical theatre in college. Troupe Directors may nominate one student for this scholarship. The student should not be aware that he/she has been nominated. The winner will be announced at the closing ceremonies of the Ohio Thespian Conference, therefore the student nominated must be in attendance at closing ceremonies.
Send a Troupe to Ohio Thespian State Conference
This grant is for one current Thespian troupe that has been unable to attend state conference for the past three years and can demonstrate financial barriers to attending. The application can be submitted by a Thespian troupe director or an inducted Thespian with the approval of the troupe director.
The selected troupe will receive a one-time grant to cover its state conference registration fees, for a teacher, up to 12 inducted Thespians, and one additional chaperone, plus travel fees to and from the conference.
Southwest Area Scholarship
Herb Sprowls Grant
Herb Sprowls, having been a Thespian since he was in high school, continued to contribute to the art of theatre, first as the conference registrar’s assistant, and later offering his services as the official chauffeur, driving many a workshop presenter and conference guest to the airport. He was posthumously inducted into the Ohio EdTA Hall of Fame in 2002. In recognition of his years of service to Ohio Thespians, the Ohio EdTA Board created a grant for selected students in his memory. This grant is Herb’s legacy to Ohio’s theatre students.
Each grant recipient will receive:
Ohio State Thespian Conference registration fees
Individual Events registration (if registered)
Shuttle bus service (if registered)
- Hotel charges, not to exceed $50.00, as verified by the Thespian’s Troupe Director
Theatre Educator of the Year
This award is open to any educator at a K-12 public, private or charter school that has an active Thespian or Jr. Thespian Troupe. In the past, we have honor drama teachers, directors, and technical theatre teachers at both the middle and high school level.